You guys, I have to let you in on a little shopping secret. It's called ThredUp and it's going to change the way you re-energize your closet. It's basically a giant online thrift store that carries all the coolest brands, like Rag & Bone, J Brand, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Alexander Wang, etc... You can actually send all the clothes that you no longer wear and get new stuff to replace it.
The pants I'm wearing in these photos? Amazing, mint condition leather Miu Miu for a little over 100 bucks. Crazy, I know. Anyway, other than the fact that it's a super easy way to shop for lazy girls like me, I also enjoy it because it ties into a few of my values and personal preferences:
1. I love thrifting and vintage clothing. The old saying rings true: one person's trash is another person's treasure. Not only can you find such gems for a fraction of the cost, but you can also pretty much a guarantee that there is no chance to spot anyone else in the same clothes as you.
2. While I enjoy myself some high quality garments, I also love scoring a good bargain. I mean, who doesn't?!
3. The older I get, the more averse I am becoming to fast fashion, and a part of my new year's resolutions was to reduce dramatically/challenge myself to not buy one fast fashion item this year (so far so good). There are many reasons for this, one of them being this eye-opening movie - it's on Netflix and I urge you all to watch it ASAP. It's easy to bury your head in the sand and ignore the problem when you're so far removed, but if I'm not actively part of the solution, I at least don't want to contribute to the issue. Which I realize is ironic, me being a fashion blogger and all, but yes, I am trying to give consumerism the middle finger.
4. It's good for the environment. New stuff = more waste. Old stuff being recycled = things going in circle. Common sense.
5. I'm like the opposite of a hoarder and am constantly getting rid of things. I do a huge closet purge twice per year and bring in a fresh rotation of pieces. ThredUp is basically made for this kind of cycle, aka my dream come true.
So yeah, it's pretty much an ideal way to get new things into your closet while clearing out what you no longer wear, and being good to the planet while you're at it. Literally a win-win-win.
And because I love you guys, click here to get $10 off your order. Let me know what you end up getting, I would love to know!
Icelandic Wool sweater
Miu Miu leather pants from ThredUp
Click to shop: